List of Recommended Practitioners
List of recommended practitioners
If you need treatment, it is always worth asking your midwife or GP for a local NHS physiotherapy referral first (as it is free and often nearer to your home). It also raises the profile of the condition and encourages local service provision. It can help to take the national guidelines for PGP and our ‘Stickmum’ leaflet to show your physiotherapist if they do not offer a full individual assessment and hands-on treatment.
NHS teams our members report providing effective hands-on treatment:
- Norfolk and Norwich NHS Trust – call their answer phone helpline on: 01603 287130 and leave details of: your full name, date of birth, hospital number – a seven digit number on the top right hand corner of your hospital sticker on your handheld notes, How many weeks pregnant/post-natal you are, contact telephone numbers during working hours, a brief description of the problem.
The following list is produced from those recommendations where at least two women with PGP have received effective ‘hands-on’ treatment. However, these practitioners have not been ‘vetted’ by the Pelvic Partnership. Sometimes after manual treatment you may feel sore for a day or two, particularly if you have had PGP for some time prior to treatment, but if you are not seeing overall improvements after two to three treatments with any practitioner (including those on this list), you may want to seek another opinion.
We try to ensure that this list is accurate and current, but we cannot guarantee every entry is completely correct when you read it. We rely on you to keep us abreast of current recommendations, so please get in touch with us if you have any relevant feedback on any of these practitioners.
- Helen Thomson: physio (Falkirk) 01324 664 066, thomsontherapy.co.uk
- Donna Chisholm: McTimoney chiropractor (Inverness) 01463 712656 or 07795233123, allandalziel.co.uk
- Fiona Maxton: physio (Prestwick, Ayrshire) 01292 280966 or 07969378861, fionamaxtonphysiotherapy.co.uk
- Vanessa Dare physio (Edinburgh) 0131 662 8552, darephysiotherapy.com
- Valerie Munro: physio (Perth) 01738 630425 or 07843 620 820, munrotherapy.com
- Maeve Whelan: physio PGP and pelvic floor specialist (Dublin) +35 312 960 603, milltownphysiotherapy.com, pelvicphysiotherapy.com
- Ian Melrose: osteopath (Dublin) +35 863 966 788, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Emma McArthur: physio (Belfast) 07723770360 restoreandrebalance.com
- Lorraine Johnston: physio (Dundonald, Belfast N. Ireland) 028 90482337, email@example.com
- Sinead Murphy: physio (Cork City) +353 86 885 0217, performancephysiotherapy.ie
- Ralph Sutton: osteopath (Milnthorpe, Cumbria) 01539 565 777, ralphsuttonosteopaths.co.uk
- Jen Armitage: physio (Middlesborough) 01642 361166 (works on Fridays)
- Vicky Smith: physio (Durham) 0191 3830125, 07983 643835, firstname.lastname@example.org, tayloredfitphysio.co.uk
- Sue Francis: physio (Crakehall, Nr Bedale, N. Yorks) 01677 424 088
- Lynne Midwinter: physio (Todmorden, Lancashire) 01706 819464, email@example.com, physiotherapies.co.uk
- Samantha Durnian: physio (Chorley, Lancashire) 01257 230140, firstname.lastname@example.org, www.a6physio.co.uk
- Jenny Heron: physio (Horsforth, Leeds) 0113 258 1020, physiofitleeds.co.uk
- Laetitia Ludovic: chiropractor (Leeds) 0113 228 9888, email@example.com, headchiro.com
- Cathy Preston and Sarah Joice: physios and colleagues (Leeds, Bradford, Guiseley, Garforth) 0113 287 0926, peakphysiotherapy.com
- Ian Horsley: physio (Wakefield) 01924 842 421, backinactionltd.co.uk
- Lisa Halse: osteopath (Walkley, Sheffield) 0114 234 5459, lodgehouse.org.uk and 0114 258 0133 stillpointpractice.com
- Helen Harding: chiropractor (Chester, Cheshire) 01244 880186, firstname.lastname@example.org, hardingchiropractic.co.uk
- Howard Turner: physio (Wilmslow, Cheshire) 01625 530794, email@example.com, wilmslow-physio.co.uk
- Alison Bartup: physio (Bramhall, Stockport) 0161 4408 970
- Lisa Miller: physio (Prestwich, Manchester) 07806 358752, oakleyphysio.co.uk
- Leigh Halfteck: physio (Liverpool and the Wirral) Liverpool clinic: 0151 427 5000, the Wirral clinic: 0151 648 5000, firstname.lastname@example.org, chiroandphysioclinic.co.uk
- Sally Murray: physio (Burton-on-Trent and Derby) Burton-on-Trent: 01283 563331, email@example.com, physio-form.co.uk, Derby: 01332 369713, thesportingjoint.com
- James Booth: osteopath (Nottingham) 01159 232 425, jamesboothosteopath.co.uk
- Lucy Walmsley: physio & PGP workshop tutor (Bourton-on-the Water) 01451 822660, stowphysio.co.uk
- Clare Woodward: physio and PGP workshop tutor (Tewkesbury, Glos) 01684 772192 backintoaction.co.uk
- Jeremy James: osteopath (Solihull, W. Midlands) 0121 7054 499, jeremyjamesosteopath.co.uk
- Carl Seal: chiropractor (Coventry) 02476 697007, abbeyclinicuk.com
- Dr Francois Hacault: chiropractor (St Albans, Herts): 01727 848 481 chiropractorstalbans.co.uk
- Karyn Clark: chiropractor (Letchworth, Herts) 01462 486444, evergreenwellness.co.uk
- Julie Mann: physio (Kensington, London) 0207 938 1350 sprintphysio.co.uk
- Maria Elliott: physio, (Chiswick, London) 0208 995 3500, simplywomenshealth.co.uk
- Helen Keeble: physio (Barnes, London) 0208 876 9897, helenkeeble.co.uk
- Camilla Curtis: physio (Chelsea, London) 0207 4046343, central-health.com
- Joshua Smith: chiropractor (Tooting, London) 020 8767 6718, firstname.lastname@example.org, chiro.london/chiropractors/joshua-smith/
- Andrea Rippe: osteopath (Kennington, S London) 020 7735 6813, email@example.com, kenningtonosteopaths.co.uk
- Bernadette Gilder: physio (Chingford, N London) 02085292181 or 07944486747, firstname.lastname@example.org, bouncebackphysiotherapy.com
- Virginie Host: physio and osteopath (N London and Herts) 0208 447 3805, bodymanagementclinic.com
- Niamh Burn: physio (N London) 07709537069, email@example.com, maternityphysio.co.uk
- Carragh McAree: osteopath (Teddington, Middlesex) 0208 9776396, osteopathuk.co.uk
- Yvonne Coldron: physio (Caterham, Surrey) 01883 345202, ramsayhealth.co.uk
- Lisa Few: physio (Claygate, Surrey) 01372 464 968, thephysiocompany.co.uk
- Emma Brockwell: physio (Oxted, Surrey) Oxted: 01883 713434 physiomum.co.uk
- Diane Kheir: osteopath (Beaconsfield and Marlow) 01494 880649, cedar-osteopathy.co.uk
- Louise Beland: osteopath (Wallingford) 01491 824724, louisebelandosteopath.co.uk
- Gill Amos: chiropractor (Pangbourne, Reading) 0118 984 3473, firstname.lastname@example.org, forhealthchiropractic.co.uk
- Ros Jones: osteopath (Oxford) 01865 778 064, oxfordfamilyosteopathicpractice.co.uk
- Nicole Tudor-Williams: physio (Summertown, Oxford) 01865 311 686, oxphys.co.uk
- Caroline Shanks and Anthony Larcombe: chiropractors (Oxford) 01865 204246, oxfordchiropractic.co.uk
- Victoria Inglis-Smith: osteopath (Chinnor, Oxon) 01844 352200, theluxtonclinic.co.uk
- Rosemary Piercy: chiropractor (Newbury) 01635 791 301, totalchiro.co.uk
- Alison Nuttall: physio (Newbury) 01635 569600, physiotherapyclinicnewbury.co.uk
- Catherine Ross: physio (Maidenhead) 01628 664757, burnhamphysiotherapy.co.uk
- Verity Wills: chiropractor (Maidenhead & Cookham) 01628 626565, activehealthclinics.com
- Christine Woolnough: physio (Twyford and Wargrave) 0772933192, fitandable.co.uk
- Kim McCreith: physio (Chandler’s Ford, Hampshire), 023 8025 3317, gophysiotherapy.co.uk
- Simon Billings: chiropractor (Southampton) 0238 0788111, stjameschiro.co.uk
- Dr Ruth Jones: physio (Eastleigh, Hampshire) 023 8061 2166, email@example.com, cerianlife.com
- Philippa Wilmot: chiropractor (Alverstoke, Gosport) 02393 162688, firstname.lastname@example.org and (Cowes, Isle of Wight) 01983 282810, coweschiropracticclinic.co.uk
- Thomas Kennedy: physio (Ryde, Isle of Wight) 01983 811861, rydephysio.co.uk
- Karen Pelling: osteopath (Crawley, West Sussex) 01342 712764, email@example.com, eastgrinsteadosteopaths.co.uk
- Simon Allison: osteopath (West Sussex) 01403 734 321, b2h-clinic.co.uk
- Dawn Buoy: physio (Hove, East Sussex) 01273 746898, bodyrehabstudios.com
- Tone Tellefsen Hughes: chiropractor (Milford) 01483 527 945, lucksyardclinic.com
- Mark Bolton: osteopath (Croydon & Warlingham): 020 8662 1155 or 07879436661, markboltonosteopath.com
- Cate McCormack: physio (Salisbury, Wiltshire), 01722 342 630, privatehealthpractice.com
- Nicole Tudor-Williams: physio (Parkstone, Poole) 01202 749514, bwtphysio.co.uk
- Chris Stevenson: physio (Dursley) 01453 548 119, courtyardclinic.co.uk
- Christine Andrew: chiropractor (Bristol) 0117 9422262, pregnancychiropractor.co.uk
- Nina Hollingsworth: chiropractor (Bristol) 0117 9245842, parkerclinic.co.uk
- Amanda Sullivan: physio (Bristol) 0791 254 1051, paultompkinsphysiotherapy.co.uk
- Juliana Hounsfield: osteopath (Bristol) 0117 944 6968, firstname.lastname@example.org, thefamilypractice.tv
- Sian Davies Todd: chiropractor (South Bristol) 01761 451085 chiropractical.co.uk
- Shaana van Aardenne: chiropractor (Bradford on Avon) 01225 571434, familychiropracticcentre.co.uk
- Hugh Jenkins: physio (Exeter) 01392 211 066, exeterphysio.co.uk
- Nidine Simmonds: chiropractor (Cullompton, Exeter), 07817675698, simmondschiropractic.co.uk
- Louisa Snell: chiropractor (Honiton, Devon) 01404 549 270, wellbeingdevon.co.uk
- Jo Lang: physio (Taunton, Devon) 01823 250608, nuffieldhealth.com/physiotherapy/taunton
- Kate Fry: osteopath (Totnes, South Devon) 07939216005, email@example.com, totnesosteopathy.co.uk
- Belinda Alecock: physio (Launceston, Cornwall) 01566 774 359, firstname.lastname@example.org, physiofix.co.uk
- Laura Cullen: physio (Crantock, nr Newquay, Cornwall), 07738224861, email@example.com, fitbumpsandmums.co.uk
- Lowrie Bell: chiropractor (Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire) 01437 769920, 07582367784
- Gillian McCabe: physio (Cardiff) 07956 442 403, firstname.lastname@example.org, gillianmccabe.co.uk
- Rosie Jones: osteopath (Swansea) 07540 453 280, email@example.com, www.swanseabodykinetics.co.uk
- Anne-Marie Melloy: physio (Cambridge) 01223 211 606, cambsphysioclinic.co.uk
- Amanda Savage: physio (Cambridge) 01223 870856, southcambridgephysio.co.uk
- Nicola Day: physio (Cambridge) 01223 870856, southcambridgephysio.co.uk
- John Lant: osteopath (Cambridge) 01223 367661, johnlant.co.uk
- Claire Brown: physio (Newmarket, Cambridgeshire) 01638 660686, firstname.lastname@example.org, physioptima.com
- Jonathan Wilson: chiropractor (Norwich) 01603 764777, inspiredchiropractic.com
- Stella Archer: osteopath (Thetford, Norfolk) 0787 6761845, stellaarcher.co.uk
- Elliot Hurst, chiropractor (Essex & E. London) 0800 043 7103, healthplusclinics.com
- Elle Paxman: physio (Chelmsford, Colchester and Braintree) 07970 260 026, essex-physiotherapy.co.uk
- Alison Edwards: chiropractor (Huntingdon) 0870 432 54 64, alisonedwards.co.uk
Cant find a private practitioner in your area?
- You can try your local sports injury clinic where you can ask to speak to a sports physiotherapist, who ideally specialises in pelvic joint problems, to discuss whether they have relevant experience. They do not have to have specific experience of treating pregnant women. It is most important that they are confident at manually treating the pelvic joints and getting their patients back to playing sport and doing all the normal activities of daily life, rather than just coping with pain and avoiding normal activities. To find a manual or sports physiotherapist in your area visit the Physio First website.
- You can contact your local osteopath or chiropractor – again, check that they have experience in treating pelvic joint problems. You may find these websites helpful: General Osteopathic Council, British Chiropractic Association and McTimoney Chiropractic Association.
What to expect and check if you are looking for someone to treat your PGP effectively
Here are some questions about what to ask if you call a manual therapist before you go for a consultation:
- What will you do if I come to see you for my PGP? (You should expect to be asked to undress to your underwear for an assessment and a diagnosis before any treatment starts).
- Do you treat people with PGP regularly and how many people with PGP have you seen over the last three years?
- How do you treat it?
- How soon would you expect to see some improvement, even a little bit?
- What you should expect from the discussion you have on the phone with a manual therapist ahead of going to see them:
You should be told that the manual therapist intends to examine you, looking for symmetry of movement at the sacroiliac joints and the position of your Symphysis pubis (i.e. not looking for pain at that stage).
- They should explain what they have found during the assessment and why you have pain
- They should explain what they are going to do about the pain and how they are going to physically treat you to make you better.
- They should carry out the treatment. Expect to receive manual treatment not just a list of exercises – exercises tend to work best once you have had some manual therapy and the pain has improved. Manual treatment involves mobilising stiff or ‘stuck’ joints and gently moving your limbs and joints to help realign the pelvis if it is moving asymmetrically.
Please see our ‘What to expect from treatment’ page for more information.
Last updated 27.10.2017